John Carter hits the streets today on Blu-ray/DVD and fans who have pre-ordered are ready. As the day began, it was listed on Amazon’s “Movies and TV” Best Sellers list at #13 (4 Disk Set) and #15 (2 Disk Set). As of this writing it is at #6 and #8. Act of Valor, also released today but without all the various packages that John Carter has, is listed ahead of it at the moment and may remain there since the John Carter numbers are split between multiple versions. We will keep an eye on information about sales as it becomes available and update here.
UPDATE: 5:30 PM — We have some anecdotal updates from the Facebook Group:
- Brian Fasick: “Netflix is now officially a ‘very long wait’.”
- George Walton: “[When I bought mine] my Walmart guy said “Another one of these..!” They seem to be selling pretty well.”
- Petra Cahill: My experience at BJ’s Wholesale this morning: Before you leave the building you have to show your receipt and the person will compare it with your items in the shopping cart. Well he saw my John Carter Blu-Ray and asked if there where many left? I told him some and why he was asking. He said just a bit ago came up to him with a whole box full of that Blu-Ray movie in them. He thought the guy must have bought the rest of them after I got mine! lolol Thank god, I got it. There where 2 rows of that movie. Not knowing how far back the row went I would say that there where at least 20 to a row. All I could think was WOW now that is dedication! On the other hand must be nice to have that much money and I do hope he or she is part of the latest campaign of getting first responders a copy of John Carter! 😉
- Doug McClure: My Target was out of the 4 Disk set.
- Jake Poirot: Best Buy didn’t have as many copies stocked as I would’ve preferred, but now I’m thinking they may have just sold really well today. I did have a woman ask me about the film while I was checking out the JC display. I told her it didn’t do well at the box office and therefore probably wasn’t very good. Just kidding.
- Patrick Malloy: Ok back from buying my John Carter Blu-ray from Best Buy, there were two left, I bought one and talked a fellow customer into buying the last one, he of course knew nothing about the film, nor who Edgar Rice Burroughs was, so I helped to enlighten him of course…here is a picture I took of the empty stand!
- Howard Rosen I got my copy at Best Buy tonite. There were 4 copies left after I took mine. It did my heart good to see the display almost empty.